Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Days Like These

What happens when you are in a slump?

I was wondering about this because I realised that despite my work on endgame technique (which has since gotten better), my tactical vision appears to have suffered.

For example, take this game. For reasons beknownst only to myself, why for the life of me I didn't play h5 followed by Rh1 to try for an advantage didn't occur to me (Black cannot of course play Rxh5 because of Bg6 forking the 2 Rooks).

My general play on FICS appears to be suffering. I've lost games I normally would have won and it's tough plucking yourself up to take on game after game, only to stumble and fall at the first hurdle again and again.

Something is seriously wrong with my game and it's starting to scare me.

On the back of my mind is of course my studies, yet again, which I have to resit for my exam and to make matters worse, my lecturer hasn't gotten back to me.

While I still enjoy and love playing chess, there's something in me that's just not .... well, right. I can't explain it. It's like some kind of weird "writer's block" that I cannot seem to overcome.

Tonight is my chess night again at my local Ryde-Eastwood League club and I'm seriously thinking of giving it a miss and the fellows are having a blitz social session, I think.

Btw, I purchased a small digital DGT Easy chess clock. This is primarily used as a timer to gauge myself when I am working on endgame studies. It's also useful when my nephews visit me and want to have a nice little game of chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment