Thursday, September 23, 2010

Online Cheating - A Penny For Your Thoughts

While browsing the chess.com forums, I came across the following interesting post from erik (owner of chess.com). The post reminds me of what John Milton wrote in Paradise Lost.

"Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is."

------------------------
10th August 2009, 05:52am by erik

We close many accounts each day for computer cheating on Chess.com. Generally people get very very angry about it and email back to deny it and blah blah blah (always the same thing). But today we received a different response and I wanted to share it for 2 reasons: first, a warning to those who are tempted to cheat; and second, to show an example of maturity in someone who is man enough to own up to his decisions.

"First of all, I'm very sorry for betraying the trust put into me by Chess.com.

Things have happened in my life over the last year and at one point in time I decided to make that unforgiveable mistake, and one thing led to another. I regret making that mistake. Not that it'll make any difference, and I'm not expecting you to believe me, but it's been the main reason I was considering to resign all my games and just not play on chess.com anymore. To just be able to help out the community and write articles. Alas, I threw that away the moment I first used that engine.

I have never asked you for anything, nor will I now. Don't worry, I won't try to come back under a different name, I have betrayed the trust put into me and that's sad. Very sad.

I wish you all the best. Please accept my sincere apologies, wish you all the best of luck with the website and I enjoyed all the hours on chess.com."

No comments:

Post a Comment