Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Whatever Happened To My 4 Days?

The Australian Open is coming!!

Unfortunately, I would be working and thus unable to participate. However, I am tempted to pop in on Manly during one of the weekends to have a look.

The number of entries has swelled to nearly 50 for the Open Division and 40 for the U1600 section.

I wish everyone participating in the Open the best of luck and I wish the organisers as well for a good tournament!

Onto personal things, okay, my wife was away for 4 days and today she would be back. So let's see what I did during my 4 days.

1. Saturday - dropped my wife off at the airport. Went to work, ate dinner, watched Mythbusters (*cough cough*) and Iron Chef.
2. Sunday - housework, gardening, doing laundry, folding clothes, went for dinner with my aunt, uncle, Steven, cousin and family.
3. Monday - Went to the gym early in the morning, went to work..... errrrr.... spent 5 minutes on FICS (got beaten - actually got disconnected - internet connection keeps breaking up), slept early.
4. This morning - Went to work early so that I can go through one WC's annotated games (before work starts). Come evening, I'll have to pick my wife up later from the airport.

How much chess study did I get in during these 4 days?

Minimal.

I managed to learn a main tabiya during those 4 days. Unfortunately, that main tabiya only goes up till move 7 but I've finally understood why certain moves have to be played this way and why alternative moves are not so good.

Due to unforseen circumstances, I'll be working come this Saturday and Sunday and again on New Year's Day. Hopefully, things are quiet work-wise because I would really like to get cracking on some serious chess study.

Btw, Bobby Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games has been republished in algebraic edition. I'll have to try to get the book one of these days (as soon as I'm done going through another WC games collection book) and go through it for my own benefit and learning.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you must be one of these so called 'new men' who do laundry, gardening, ... . :-)

    Pity you cant play in the open section of that tournament. No chance of getting these days off at work, not even if you ask your supervisor, or boss, nicely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. chesstiger:

    When my wife's away, someone has to do the laundry before they start to smell.

    Gardening was of no choice. The weeds are starting to grow and the constant rain+sunshine the last week hasn't helped.

    No chance unfortunately.

    My dept is low on staff during the hols and quite a number of people are away. I will be going overseas in January for a couple of weeks to visit my family. I would love to play in the Open section but that involves taking 5 days off work and that's too much to handle for my boss.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete