Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Missed Chance To Meet Tibor Karolyi

IM Tibor Karolyi was at the chess club at Manly-Warringah on Sep 29 2008.

I only found out about it too late (yesterday) . Bummer.

Kind of a shame really because I have his book Kasparov's Fighting Chess 1993-1998 and just wanted to tell him how much I enjoyed his book (I'm still looking through his immense annotations even though I bought the book nearly half a year ago). Tibor formerly was Peter Leko's trainer and
is here in Sydney under the gracious invite of Brett Tindall and the Sydney Academy of Chess.

Onto other things, in the Ford Memorial at North Sydney, I am now at +3-2=0 with another 4 games to go. My target was to get +5 in this competition and right now, I'm still on course. My brother-in-law Steven is currently on +3-1=1.

In the Bobby Fischer Cup at Ryde-Eastwood, tonight is the last(?) round for me with a +11-6=3 score (a most absymal performance by my standards). My losses going to Ted Wong, Bill Gletsos, Lorenzo Escalantes, Joweynn Lua, my brother-in-law Steven and finally Theodore last week (where I hung a Rook).

Onto better news, my parents-in-laws are coming for a visit in a couple of weeks' time and it'll be great to see them again as it was my father-in-law who introduced me to chess.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a pity you missed Tibor. Who knows, maybe you could talk to him and he could have given you some valuable tips on how to improve.

    Not bad overall scores so far in the tournaments you are playing. Offcourse they can be better but then again, you are working on improvement so they will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have been cool for him to sign his book for you. Good luck in the rest of your tournament!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chesstiger, knightfork: It is indeed such a pity. I would really have liked to have attended but alas, it was not to be.

    :(

    ReplyDelete