Tuesday, June 9, 2009

U1600 and U1800 Rd3 Results

Tonight is a bit of an unusual situation.

Both of my teams, the U1600 Norths Bear and the U1800 Ryde Eastwood were playing in the same venue at Norths League club.

I had earlier informed my U1800 team captain David French 2 weeks ago that I could not play for them tonight as I would be playing for the U1600 Norths Bear.

As a result, David had to find 2 players to fill in (Lorenzo was away as well) and Dennis Hale and young Dylan Siow-Lee luckily filled in for replacements for Lorenzo and me.

So the U1800 Ryde Eastwood team comprises Brenton Yum, David French, Dennis Hale and Dylan Siow-Lee.

I had a slight shuffle in my U1600 Norths team as well. The players were me, David Stern, Andrew Johnson and Michael Anderson respectively. We were playing the team from Manly (yes, I know how this sounds really strange) comprising Jack Mejzini, Chris Dimock, Gordon Miller and Nina Vayssiere.

My opponent was Jack Mejzini. I was Black and we quickly transposed into the Sicilian Dragon. Jack made a mistake and blundered his Knight (I was shocked that he left his Knight en prise that I spent nearly 10 minutes calculating the effects of taking it). He got 2 pawns for the Knight in return but it was insufficient compensation and I basically traded into a winning endgame.

Boards 2 and 4 were a draw and Board 3 was lost, so the U1600 Norths emerged 2-2.

I was watching the U1800 Ryde Eastwood team but unfortunately, we didn't fare so well, we lost on all boards and ended up 0-4.

An absolute bummer.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats with your win!

    Pity the rest of your clubmates didn't fare so well. But maybe this 0-4 beating in the U1800 is what was needed to show some teeth and you and your clubmates now go winning match after match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chesstiger: Thanks! My opponent unfortunately got lost in complications during a middlegame and hung his Knight in the process. It was still a bit of a fight and it was only after more pieces were traded that any chances of salvaging the game was gone by then.

    Indeed, getting a 0-4 drubbing was very painful. We hope to do better next Tuesday. One of my clubmates is going to play my brother-in-law! Should be a great matchup. :)

    ReplyDelete