Sunday, December 9, 2007

Calculation

Calculation is everything in chess. In this post, I highlight two games which I had last night. Both games need some calculation (not much but you should be able to see them as they're not hard to calculate).

On the first diagram on the left, I am Black and it is White's turn to move. White was thinking of Rd8+. Note that his Queen and Bishop are vulnerable.

Question #1: Can White play 1. Rd8+?

Answer can be found by highlighting between the brackets.

[No, this simple trick doesn't work and in fact, loses a piece immediately with 1.... Re8. Now 2. Rxe8+ Rxe8 and White must lose his Bishop]

Now here's another problem.

I am White in the 2nd diagram on the left and it is my turn to move.

My first thought was 1. Bxh6 winning a pawn as after the Bishop gets taken, 2. exf4.

Question 2: Is there a problem with this 1. Bxh6 plan?

Answer can be found by highlighting between the brackets.

[Yes, there is! 1. Bxh6 Qxh6 and now White cannot play 2. exg4 because of 2... Ng3+ and White will lose the Rook for a Knight]

No comments:

Post a Comment