Thursday, January 24, 2008

What Do I Do Next?

I've reached an interesting position here arising from the Ruy Lopez: Berlin Defence.

Black just played the move 22... Ne5. I fail to find the correct tactic here, proving once again, my tactical vision is just not good enough. Instead, I found the 2nd best move which Fritz gives as less than optimal - difference of 1.0. A swing large enough to highlight my omission.

My question is this:

What is wrong with Black's position? In this case, I'm not giving out any clues. It's up to you to figure out the best continuing line.

[In the game, I played 23. Nxe5. But I missed the following stronger tactic.

Surprisingly, White can solidify his advantage by playing
23. Nxd6!! The Knight naturally cannot be taken by the Black Queen because if 23... Qxd6 24. Qh6#.

23.Nxd6 Nf7 (forced as any other Knight moves either loses the Knight or results in Qh6#. Note: If the Queen tries to defend with 23... Qe7 then 24.Qxe5+! Qxe5 25.Nf7+ loses a piece
24.Nxf7+ Qxf7
25.Qxc5 and White has netted 2 extra pawns]

No comments:

Post a Comment