Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Have A Problem

.... and that problem is chess.

Between my job, my wife and my studies, how can I possibly make time for chess?

Well, every Wednesday (for about slightly over a year now), I've been going to my local chess club here in Sydney and continue to receive hammering after hammering from fellow chess club players (hint: I am not winning).

Maybe I am a masochist at heart.

Like the old ABC wide world of sports commentary ,"Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport! The thrill of victory...and the agony of defeat! The human drama of athletic competition! This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!"

Every week, I sort of feel like skier Vinko Bogataj in that intro.

First a little bit of myself.... (flashback sequence coming right up!)

I was first introduced to chess at an early age, learning just a few basic moves and playing with my brother for fun for like a few months (when you're 12 years old, everything was fun!).

Then about last year, disaster struck. My father-in-law came over for a visit and I started playing with him and I was drawn back into the game like a duck to water. Naturally, my 78 year old father-in-law proceeded to pulverise me to a pulp game after game.

(end of flashback)

I then promised to myself that I should become a better chess player.

Like my brother-in-law, Steven (insert *envy* here). His ELO rating is in the 1900s and he can easily outmanoeuvre, outthink, outfight, .... well, basically, outplay me whenever we match up every Wednesday night at the chess club.

I'm sure deep down, he must think, why must I play this patzer week after week?

No comments:

Post a Comment